BRITISH KNITWEAR – SHOP SHELFIE WEEK 3
FEATURED OBJECTS – BRITISH KNITWEAR, SOCKS
The sock. The Greeks were the first to wear socks, made from animal hair. The Romans were sewing pieces of fabric together to create fitted socks they called ‘undones’. These are the first socks to resemble the garments we wear today.
By the end of the 12th century, much of Europe’s working classes were knitting their own homespun socks, while the hosiery of noblemen was generally made from cloth of higher quality.
After the industrial revolution, the largely woollen socks became easier and cheaper to produce and their appeal spread across Europe. At the start of the 19th century, circular knitting frames were introduced which further mechanised sock production.
Genevieve Sweeney is a British knitwear brand, run by Genevieve herself, all products are made here in the UK and she embraces ethical practices and responsibilities. The designs are stylish, thoughtful and fun. If you like what you see, then sign up for monthly sock subscription box.
WHY WE LOVE GENEVIEVE SWEENEY KNITWEAR
- High quality materials used means items are warm, comfortable and durable.
- British brand reimagining knitwear – GS uses traditional manufacturing processes with contemporary designs and yarn blends.
- Embraces slower fashion, manufactures in small batches and puts sustainability first.
- Made in Derbyshire and Scotland at some of the oldest mills in the UK.
- The socks are versatile, can be worn camping, paired by boots for a walk or to snuggle on the sofa during the colder months. Keep your feet warm and toasty when working at home this winter.
- Unisex designs.
SOCKS, HATS AND GLOVES ARE PART OF THE UNDER THE CANVAS COLLECTION, AND AVAILABLE TO BUY HERE. PRICES START FROM £9